Saturday 29 August 2009

Long time, no see; much coding, however

For some reason I completely forgot to post updates here this week. As a result, they've stacked like a pile of bills, and the mountain is about to collapse - in blog post form! I suppose the best way of introducing the huge volume of updates is by way of another demo video:

ExeSketch Demo 2 from Animatinator on Vimeo.



So, as you may have ascertained from the video, the most obvious change is that ExeSketch is now possessive of both a fully-functional Polygon class and a hyper-spiffy Circle class. However, that's not all - as well as the new objects I've added several more accessor functions to the existing ones, a generic bounding box drawing function for all objects (noticeable in the video), duplication of objects, and all sorts of items of jazzy miscellany that presently escape my memory.

Now, excuse my recapitulation of Polygon features I may have mentioned before; I'm on the "Create Post" page and can't be arsed going into a new tab to read over my previous post on the topic. All I know is that some of it is new, probably. Well, to begin with guaranteed repetition, the Polygon class defines a polygon as a series of points joined by lines or filled. In edit mode, one can select points and move them (or delete them with the delete key), and add a new point after the selected one by applying pressure through whichever finger happens to lie poised atop the rightmost mouse button. Fairly simple really, and I believe undeserving of further explanation. What's almost certainly new is completely bug-free mouseclick detection (I redid the function and it now has both the advantages of brevity and, you know, working). I also added antialiasing for polygons, something which doesn't work on my system (bloody Intel card) but may well work on others.

The Circle class, being entirely new and shiny, is a different kettle of fish entirely (for one thing, it's circular). This is defined as a position (its centre point) and a single point on its circumference, the latter of which can be moved around in editing mode in order to resize the circle. As usual, fill can be toggled with the F key; the only class that probably won't have this feature is the Bézier curve (ah, how I dread its mathematical curvy complexity).

Before I forget, duplication is done with shift-D. And that's it. Such a piddly description seems hardly worth the hours I spent trying to get the damned thing to work (don't get me started), but from a user's perspective, it really is as simple as that. And on that note, here's the source code again. Good day!

1 comment:

  1. I'd be lost without coding. I will reccomend you to my collegues. coding is great. I don't know what else to say.

    ReplyDelete